Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcakes
Ok. If I was to pick my top 5 desserts, this would DEFINITELY be on the top of that list. It is so classic and simple but bursting with so much flavor! It reminds me of my grandma's baking and how I looked forward to all her yummy creations every time I walked into her house. Although she used the big tub of whipped cream religiously, this is a bit on the cleaner side. I used a dairy free whipped cream that honestly you cannot even tell the difference. My boys like me to spray it in their mouths as a treat. But you can make your own by whipping coconut cream with a little maple syrup if you really want it special.
If you want to use cane sugar it's a 1:1 swap, I just do better with coconut sugar. If you want to make this VEGAN you can sub the egg with Bob's egg replacement and use dairy free butter. Super easy swaps! :)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (with xanthan gum)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk buttermilk (simply add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice to the cup of milk)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- extra almond milk
- extra coconut sugar
1) Stir together sliced strawberries, coconut sugar & vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and place in the refrigerator.
2) Cut the butter into small pieces & set aside. If you do not have buttermilk make your own and set aside.
3) Preheat oven to 450° F.
4) In a large bowl add the gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and stir to combine.
5) With a fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mix until it looks like small peas.
6) Add the vanilla & whisked egg to the buttermilk & pour into the flour/butter mixture.
7) Mix with a rubber spoon until it is just mixed, do not over mix or it will be tough biscuits.
8) On a piece of parchment paper add 1 Tbsp flour, place dough ball on top. Dust with the other Tbsp of flour.
9) Gently fold dough onto itself twice. Do this by folding the dough in half and then doing it a second time.
10) With your hands form a dough round that is about 7 inches wide and 1 inch thick. I used a ruler. You don't want them to thick or thin!
11) Cut with a cookie cutter or the mouth of a jar. Do not twist cutter when cutting; this will seal the edges and cause it not to rise well. Reform the dough scraps into another dough ball and cut out more shortcakes. Put the shortcakes in a greased baking dish. I had 8 biscuits but it depends on the size of your cutter.
12) Brush the tops of the dough with milk and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
13) Bake them for 15-20 minutes at 450° F. You want them golden brown.
14) Slice the shortcake in half, top with strawberries and whipped cream!
Leave a Reply.
HAPPY RECIPE SEARCHING!
Here you will find recipes either created by me or from ones I have found and changed up to my liking. I try to use ingredients that are usually 95% organic (lessen that toxic load!), very little unrefined sugars used and the majority of these are GLUTEN FREE. We eat legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, grass fed organic meats, pasture raised eggs, very small amounts of organic dairy, and lots of fruits and veggies! You can always change up the recipes to fit your lifestyle or taste buds! Thanks for supporting me and my art through food!